There are a number of approval pathways that may be available to you. These include local Council approval via a Development Application (DA) and Construction Certificate (CC) or Complying Development (CDC) through a private certifier. In some cases your proposed works may even be exempt development. We use our experience to advise you on the best approval process for your project.

Council Approval – We have extensive experience in dealing with Councils and believe that the best approach is to talk to them early on in the process and submit a well-supported proposal that provides them with all the possible reasons for approval. As it is a merit based assessment there is scope for approval of good design solutions even if the scheme is not fully compliant with their regulations.

After development approval (DA) is granted, a second stage of approval is required before work can start on site. This is called a Construction Certificate (CC). This approval can be sought through Council or a Private Certifier (PCA).

Complying Development – This is a State Government approval process. The design has to comply in every respect with requirements set out in a range of State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs). The main advantage of complying development is a faster approval process but there is no opportunity to negotiate alternative solutions.

Exempt Development – For certain proposals of a minor nature no formal approval is required.

Other Authority Approvals – Where appropriate, we arrange for approval from Hunter Water and the Mines Subsidence Board prior to submitting a DA or CDC.